McDonald and Orton take home biggest payout in US cyclocross history at Subaru StarCrossed
REDMOND, WA (September 13th, 2014) -It was all sun and no rain on a classic Pacific Northwest evening for the 2014 edition of Subaru StarCrossed. Although this year’s edition was unsanctioned, the payout for Elite Men and Women win was the biggest cash payout in US Cyclocross history to date at $2500 for the win, for men and for women.
The Elite Women’s race was dominated by Oregon rider Beth Ann Orton (Team S&M/Sellwood Cycle Repair) who took an early lead, and never looked back. Orton was fresh off a top-30 finish at Cross Vegas three nights prior, and seemed to recover quickly from the desert heat. Orton was consistently chased by Jessica Cutler (Jamis Bikesport p/b Bike Law) but in the end, a ten second gap distanced Orton and Cutler. Andi Zolton (Nemesis Racing) finished in a solid 3rd place, only 17 seconds behind Cutler.
The Elite Men’s race featured a talented field of riders including former U23 National CX Champion Zach McDonald (KCCX Elite p/b Challenge Tires) Barry Wicks (Kona) Spencer Paxon (Kona) and Carl Decker (Giant). McDonald was quick to get the hole shot under dark and starry skies, and a selection quickly formed including McDonald, Wicks, Paxon, Decker, Molly Cameron (Portland Bicycle Studio) Russell Stevenson (The Trek Collective) and Kevin Bradford-Parish (Set Coaching/Specialized)
This select group whittled down to six after losing Decker to a mechanical, and then also shedding Paxon after he crashed on the backside of the course. All five riders took turns at the front, and eventually a small gap formed with McDonald and Wicks at the front, and Cameron, Bradford-Parish, and Stevenson chasing. By the bell lap, McDonald began his last lap with a very small gap ahead of Wicks, and maintained his lead and took the $2500 win.
Other winners of the day included Joseph Mullan (333FAB CX Factory Team) in the Nuun Singlespeed Men’s race, and Abby Watson (Breadwinner Cycles) in the Women’s Singlespeed race.
All results from 2014 Subaru StarCrossed are posted on Turboreg.net.
Official StarCrossed 2014 Photoset by Derek Blagg Photography is now posted, https://www.flickr.com/photos/mfgcyclocross/sets/72157647602485901/
StarCrossed Title Sponsor: Subaru of America
Facebook: Subaru of America
What Subaru does:
- Subaru of America is the sales and marketing subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries of Japan.
- Subaru is highly celebrated for the durability of their flat, Boxer engine
- Subaru makes cars, sedans, wagons, SUV’s, and Crossovers
Why we like Subaru:
Subaru as a brand designs vehicles to be durable, with a balance of power and efficiency. The iconic Outback wagon is the quintessential vehicle of the Northwest, and symbolizes the region’s dedication and love for the outdoors.
Five things you should know about Subaru:
- The legendary Outback has been totally re-designed for 2015.
- The cavernous Forester has an enormous amount of cargo space at 74.7 cubic feet.
- Most Subaru’s come stock with Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive as a standard feature.
- In 2004, Subaru of Indiana became the first manufacturing facility in the United States to reach zero-landfill status.
- Subaru has been a business partner with the International Mountain Biking Association since 1997.